1.4.10

Figs Galore




Fig season is coming to an end here in Melbourne but I have taken full advantage of the abundance of ripe figs hanging over the fence of neighbouring yards. I wish I had my own fig tree, but ripe overhanging fruit is fair game as far as I'm concerned.

So far I have eaten them fresh with greek yogurt, granola, walnuts and dried cranberries for breakfast. In a salad with prosciutto and bocconcini. Stewed with lemon juice, vanilla, water and sugar until sticky sweet, then topped on ricotta cheese for dessert. And finally, tonight I piled them high on a delicious pizza.

Here's the recipe:

Fig, Prosciutto and mozzarella pizza

Turkish pide or pizza base of your choice
approx. 1/4 cup of olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
2 sprigs of fresh, chopped rosemary
salt & pepper to taste
honey to drizzle

8 fresh figs, cut into quarters
150g proscuitto
mozzarella cheese (or bocconcini/buffalo mozarella)

I mixed the olive oil and garlic together and brushed it onto the base. I used a large turkish pide as the base instead of making dough. I've used this before and it's a nice quick and easy alternative to making dough from scratch.
Next, sprinkle with salt & pepper and fresh rosemary, then drizzle on some honey (not too much!) Skip the rosemary if you agree with my Mother in Law and think it tastes like dirty socks. I sprinkled on a bit of the mozza before putting on the other toppings so that they would be enveloped in cheese. I seriously love cheese. Then add the figs along with the proscuitto and more mozarella. This is the best pizza I have ever made. The honey was the perfect sweet contrast to the salty prosciutto.

Bake at 180 degrees celcius for about 10-12 minutes until golden.






No comments:

Post a Comment